THE EFFECT OF THINK ALOUD STRATEGY TOWARD STUDENTS READING SKILL: STUDY AT 9TH GRADE SMP NEGERI 19 MATARAM IN ACADEMIC YEAR 2013/2014
This chapter presents the discussion on the background of the study, statement of the problems, objective of the study, scope and limitation of the study, significance of the study, assumption of the study, and definition of key terms.
1.1. Background of the Problem
Language is one of the most important things in communication and it is used as a toll of communication among the nations in all over the world. As an international language, English is very important and has many interrelationships with various aspects of life owned by human being.
The most often become to complain is the teachers ability in applying appropriate approaches, methods, strategies or techniques in teaching or learning. So, many students are not interest in learning English. Therefore, the English teach suggested in order to be able mastering of method, such as, Nababan (1991: 4) notices that a qualified teacher is the teacher who is able to suit best method or technique to the material that is being taught.
One of the methods researchers uses to get a clearer picture of what learners generally do while reading in a foreign language is think aloud. This is one type of verbal reports, obtained from the readers during reading (Cavalcanti, 1987).
Think-aloud means that readers report their thoughts while reading, but they are not expected to analyze their behavior as in introspection (Cohen, 1987). By means of asking their subjects to say out loud whatever goes through their minds, researchers hope to get a more direct view of the mental processes readers are engaged in while reading (Rankin, 1988).
In order to master reading skill, a teacher as an educator have to use good method in teaching learning process. In this case, the researcher concerns with theof think aloud strategy toward students reading skill study at 9th grade SMP Negeri 19 Mataram in academic year 2013/2014.
1.2. Statement of Problem
1. To what extent is the achievement of students’ Reading skill in study at 9thgrade SMP Negeri 19 Mataram in academic year 2013/2014?
2. To what extent of think aloud strategy toward students reading skill study at 9th grade SMP Negeri 19 Mataram in academic year 2013/2014?
1.3. Objective of the Study
Based on the research statement, this particular study aimed at finding out:
1. The achievement of students’ Reading skill in study at 9th grade SMP Negeri 19 Mataram in academic year 2013/2014.
2. of think aloud strategy toward students reading skill study at 9th grade SMP Negeri 19 Mataram in academic year 2013/2014
1.4. Significance of the Study
The result of the study is expected to be used theoretically and practically:
a. The result of this study is expected to be able to widen the skill of teachers in using think aloud strategy in order to improve student’s reading skill.
b. As a reference to other researchers who want to study think aloud strategy more intensively in teaching reading.
a. The result of this study is suggested to apply the think aloud strategy to increase the students’ competence in English reading skill.
b. The use of think aloud strategy in reading can make the students are more enjoyable in doing their tasks associated with the reading materials.
1.5. Hypothesis of the Study
A hypothesis is a statement of the research assumption about the relationship between two variables that the researcher plans to test within the framework of the researcher study (Kumar, 1993: 9).
The hypothesis of this study was prepared as a tentative answer for the research problem stated previously. In this case the alternative hypothesis as read follow:
“Think Aloud Strategy has effect toward Students Reading Skill ”
Because of statistical computation the alternative hypothesis need to be change into null hypothesis (Ho)as follow:
“Think Aloud Strategy has not effect toward Students Reading Skill ”
1.6. Scope and Limitation of the Study
The scopes of the study are limited to the subject and object investigated.
The subject of this study at 9th grade SMP Negeri 19 Mataram in academic year 2013/2014
The object of this study is the effect of Think aloud strategy towards students reading skill.
1.7. Definition of Key Terms
In order to clarify the key terms used in this study, some definitions are put forward.
- Think-aloud have been described as “eavesdropping on someone’s thinking.” With this strategy, teachers verbalize aloud while reading a selection orally. Their verbalizations include describing things they’re doing as they read to monitor their comprehension. The purpose of the think-aloud strategy is to model for students how skilled readers construct meaning from a text. The think-aloud strategy asks students to say out loud what they are thinking about when reading, solving math problems, or simply responding to questions posed by teachers or other students
- Reading is a kind of activity in translating written symbols into corresponding sound. Reading skills enable readers to turn writing into meaning and achieve the goals of independence, comprehension, and fluency.
3. Reading skill is the capability of understanding or getting information from reading material.
According to Gony and Kingsmey (1974:12) the strategy is a process of individual behavior which modified or changed through practice or learning on the other hand.
5. Effect is words indicate things, which arise out of some antecedent, or follow as a consequence.